People our age bonding with Jay Farrar and others on the road to five major league and three minor league parks in eight days. Join us.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

The slow and steady decay of RFK


The slow and steady decay of RFK
Originally uploaded by Butch Wynegar.

Day 2 of the trip: watched the Nats win their 9th straight. More importantly: watched DC acting like a real sports town - the crowd was as enthusiastic and knowledgeable as any I've seen. The Nats pulled out a win in the bottom of the 8th, and, unusually for DC, almost nobody left early to "beat the rush", even though it was, by a conservative estimate, 138 degrees with 90% humidity. If you've ever wondered what it's like to watch a baseball game while being waterboarded, seek no further. And if you've ever wondered who Manager of the Year should be, seek no further: how Frank Robinson is keeping his team of rejects, limpers, losers, noodle-arms, knuckleheads, moon-howlers, lunatics, and nutcases from killing each other and a few unlucky fans every night -- much less crafting them into a winning team -- is beyond me. I suspect it's Benzedrine + hypnotism, but I don't know.

I yield to no DC native in cheering baseball's return; I hope the Nats lay waste to the NL East before going down in flames to the Cubbies. That said, RFK is a stinking hellhole, and the sooner it's torn down the better. If nothing else, it helps you appreciate just how wrong Daniel Snyder got the new Redskins stadium; how anyone could produce nostalgia for this creaky, cavernous monstrosity by the Anacostia is beyond me. It combines the ambience of a bus station men's room, the hygiene of, well, a bus station men's room, and the comfort of -- yes, again -- a bus station men's room to produce what has to be the worst stadium in the majors.

You will notice I omitted Ballpark Dinner tonight. I ate a greasy, horsemeat-stuffed condom (they claim it was a hot dog; I have parasite tests that say otherwise) and spent the rest of the evening on a rocking boat in a storm. Pack your own dinner.

My kvetching aside, do go see a Nats game; if you're reading this, you're a hardier soul than I, and they are in fact a good team, and it's great to see baseball back in the D of C. - JF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home