People our age bonding with Jay Farrar and others on the road to five major league and three minor league parks in eight days. Join us.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Like Philip Roth said...


IMG_0767
Originally uploaded by Butch Wynegar.

...Goodbye, Columbus. Let me second JW's post below here, and say: I yield to nobody in romanticising places I've never been, especially, during the better part of the last ten years that I've spent in the UK, the Midwest. This frightens and disturbs my beautiful wife, the bravest and finest person I know, perhaps the only person I have ever met completely free of racial, ethnic, religious, or regional prejudice, who nonetheless fears that one day I'll move us en famille to Cincy or Pittsburgh or Sandusky.

That won't happen, of course, but it especially won't happen in Columbus. I'm sure there are some nice people here, interesting places, history, neighborhoods, restaurants, bars, stories, etc, but I can't really say I'm desperate to find them. If I spent my time in Pittsburgh thinking how much I'd like to explore the place, I spent my time in Columbus thrilled I live in New York. In fact, I would encourage Ohio to open a tourist bureau in New York, selling inexpensive long weekends to frazzled, disgruntled New Yorkers: "Rekindle your love affair with New York: come to Columbus." - JF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home